Collaborative Prace: Easter Break

Easter Break

Over the course of the two-week break, I mostly focused on taking photos for my main project and working on the mini zine task. Also, it was a time to relax and have a break since the previous weeks had been full of workshops and discussions.

I had chosen four places that I wanted to photograph 'from the ground up': Reading, Twyford, Liverpool and Falmouth. They were places that I would be at/visiting over Easter so I took the opportunity (and all the nice weather) to build up a variety of photos for my publication.  

Mon 29 March
Today I headed up to Liverpool to pick up my brother from the Easter holidays. Because Liverpool is somewhere very different to Reading and Falmouth, I took the opportunity to photograph some of the residential streets there. It was interesting to see the small similarities and differences Liverpool had in comparison Falmouth and Reading and I tried to explore this is my photos.

Thurs 1 April
The weather was very warm and bright today so I chose to do my garden photoshoot. I started in the afternoon because I liked how the sun was positioned over the right side of my garden, meaning I could play around with the shadows that were created by the plants. The idea of 'From The Ground Up' allowed me to think of new ways to view the same place through experimenting with light, angles and focuses. 

Sat 3 April
I went into Reading today to take some photos in a 'busier' place that has lots of buildings. Additionally. Banksy had recently created a new piece of artwork on the outer wall of Reading prison so I was excited to visit that. Most of the Reading photos were taken on or near a dual carriageway so cars could often been seen in some of the photos. The atmosphere was also very different compared to Liverpool (lively and loud) and Falmouth (relaxing and refreshing) whilst Reading is a bit more chaotic and crowded especially since a lot of building work has happened whilst I've been away. Because of this, experimenting with the different building and road levels was really fun.


Mon 5 April
I spent the afternoon exporting around my village and capture photos along all the small roads and alleyways. Focusing on the roads and how they curved and disappeared from different angles, I really experimented with the position of my camera, whether this was portrait or landscape, I wanted to have as many versions of one layout as possible (would later help me when editing everything in Lightroom). 


This was my final shoot for my main project as I had already capture a variety of Falmouth photos over the past three weeks that I was happy with. Of course, if a situation or view appeared that was interesting, I was already ready to add more.

Coming to the end of the holidays, I was putting the finishing touches to my mini zine. For this zine, I had collected all the given images together and picked out the ones I found interesting and/or could creating some links between. It wasn't until I had finished creating the zine, that I found out whose photos I had chosen. Because of the limiting association, I felt that I could work with the images more closely and not rely with my personal relationship with the owner of the photos.

The two weeks of Easter was a really nice break and a time to really establish my photography style. Obviously, this is something I still would like to work on especially since I'm still not used to edited my photos in post-production. But for my main project, post-production is something I would like to research more and focus on!! 



Comments